Arts & Crafts | Teen Areas | Food | Youth Area | Korner’s Folly | Classic Car Cruise-In | Walking Tour
Friday evening, 6-9 PM
Saturday 10 AM – 6 PM
One of the truly special features of Spring Folly is the annual Arts & Craft show. Skilled artists and crafters from all over the Eastern United State display their handiwork, with arts on all kinds of mediums. If you’re looking for the unique gift or item from your home, you’ll find it at Spring Folly.
Located at the corner of North Main & Mountain streets and going both west and north.
Browse the arts & craft show on North Main Street and West Mountain Street and you are bound to find the unique Mother’s Day gift you are looking for, or perhaps something decorative for the house. Everything is a hand-made original, on all kinds of surfaces. Prices are great, too.
Kernersville Tennis Association – Tennis for all ages located right behind the Chamber of Commerce!
They call me Mountain Mike I am a member of the 2nd place US Speed carving team we compete in Germany every 5 years in the world championships. Also I am the 2016 & 2017 Master of the chainsaw winner which is held in Schnecksville,PA in July. I hold the record for most bears carved in an hour which is 38. There’s a video on WRAL.com Tar Heel Traveler. I just competed in January in The Australian Chainsaw Carving Championships and placed 3rd out of some of the worlds best carvers. I am the winner of multiple competitions such as “Carving at the Casino” Salamanca, New York. And first place Twice at Chaptacular chainsaw carving bash in Georgia. As well as top Auction Twice at Ridgway Chainsaw carvers Rendezvous in Ridgway,PA. Many other awards in smaller competitions all over the US.
FIFTH ANNUAL ANTIQUE TRACTOR SHOW AND KIDDIE TRACTOR PULL
SPRING FOLLY MAY 6th , 2017
10 AM-3PM Hugh Street
Kiddie Tractor Pull at 11 AM
PRIZES GIVEN TO: FIRST AND SECOND PLACE
SPONSORED BY: MEYLOR FAMILY CHIROPRACTIC AND MEYLOR CHIROPRACTIC GREENSBORO
PLEASE REGISTER YOUR TRACTOR TODAY!
NO ENTRY FREE
CALL: MEYLOR FAMILY CHIROPRACTIC TO REGISTER 336-996-3737
You get up to three tries to make it to the top and win a gold medallion. Impress your friends and yourself by climbing to the top.
Back by popular demand is the Gravity Ball. You and a partner step into a gyroscope and spin to your heart’s content. The ball spins in every direction and is great fun.
Play and Spray
Partner up with a friend in an enclosed combat area. Each participant throws balls at a target. The first person to hit the target unleashes a light overhead water spray on their opponent. It is refreshing and fun.
North Main Stage
Saturday, May 4
Spring Folly is the place to enjoy good food. Our food court is set up in the Kernersville Medical Center Main Stage area, with various civic clubs serving up a wide variety of foods, including Lexington-style barbecue, hamburgers, hot dogs, cotton candy, French fries, cole slaw, funnel cakes, and frozen lemonade. This is a Pepsi festival with a wide range of Pepsi soft drinks and water products available.
Participating civic clubs include: Civitan Club, Kiwanis Club, Lion’s Club, Rotary Club and the Kernersville Running Club. The participating civic organization gives all of their proceeds away to charitable causes.
Our in the carnival area Brinkley entertainment provides the typical festival & fair food, with turkey legs, corn dogs, roasted corn on the cob and much more.
You can’t go hungry at Spring Folly.
Friends of the Library
Captain Jim’s Magic Show
Hospitality Tent – Located in front of the Kernersville Town Hall, a tent will be set up for a baby changing and breastfeeding station.
Spring Folly Classic Car Cruise In – The Old Salem Classic Car Cruise In will be at the 2018 Amanzi Marble and Granite Spring Folly located in the town hall parking lot!
Kernersville Train Depot
Operation Live Saver
Located on North Main Street, just past the Arts & Craft Show
Sponsored by Forsyth Pediatrics of Kernersville and Oak Ridge
Get up close with a variety of God’s creations – petting zoo animals. Hand washing and sanitizing area provided. Noah’s Place is a licensed petting zoo operated by Rev. Pete Kunkle. Free admission. Sponsored by Best Services.
YMCA Bounce House Free
Shetland Pony Rides
This is a great activity for the kids. Ride the carousel powered by 3 Shetland ponies. Rides are $5.
US Army Free
Kernersville Police Department Free
Experience what it is like to drive while impaired.
Kernersville Fire Department Free
Witness various rescue techniques and view the fire trucks.
Spring Folly Classic Car Cruise-In
“Take a Walk Down Memory Lane” – Free
Self-Guided Walking Tour of Kernersville’s Historic District
Sponsored by Pierce-Jefferson Funeral Service
Kernersville is proud of the preservation of historic homes, many of which are on the register of national historic homes. A center section of this tabloid describes the homes on South Main Street, Cherry and Salisbury streets. Take a self-guided tour as you pass these homes.
The area which is now Kernersville was first inhabited around 1756. In 1771 William Dobson purchased land and built a tavern on the Inter-colonial Stagecoach Line, which runs from Salem to Pennsylvania. A monument plaque on the corner of Main and Mountain Street marks the site where George Washington ate breakfast, as he traveled the route.
Joseph Kerner came from Germany’s Black Forest in 1785. In 1817 he purchased 1,032 acre of land. which has become know as “Kerner’s Crossroads.” In 1871 the town was incorporated as the Town of Kernersville.
Most of the homes on South Main Street were built around the time that the railroad line came through Kernersville (1873). Follow the establishment of the railroad commercial and industrial development accelerated.
In 1988, two sections of town were accepted by the National Register of Historic Places, as well as six individually listed structures.
Francis Marion Stafford House, 711 S. Main Street
Originally a two-story log cabin built around 1840, Francis Stafford added onto the house in 1856. William Cornelius Stafford purchased the house in 1905. The house was moved from 635 S. Main Street by Sallie Greenfield, the great-granddaughter of Francis Marion Stafford.
St. Paul’s Cemetery
A pre-Civil War graveyard is located behind the Stafford House, belonged to St. Paul United Methodist Church. Area slaves and other members of the black community are buried here. Several groups are currently involved with restoration efforts at the cemetery.
Gentry-Greenfield House, 707 S. Main Street
Two-story frame dwelling was built around 1861 by John W. Gentry and his wife, Parmelia Kerner Gentry, daughter of John Frederick Kerner. The house was purchased by John M. Greenfield in 1881. It was returned to its original design by Sallie Greenfield.
Theodore E. Kerner House, 620 S. Main Street
This house is a two-story, “L” shaped, handmade brick house with 14-inch tick walls. The house was built by Theodore E. Kerner. Four generations of Kerners have lived in the house.
J.W. Meredith House, 511 S. Main Street
One-story Greek Revival cottage was rebuilt after a fire destroyed the house in 1893.
Kernersville Moravian Church, 504 S. Main Street
John Frederick Kerner, eldest child of Joseph Kerner, deeded nearly two acres of land for a church and graveyard. Brick for the original building was handmade with clay from the Kerner property. “God’s Acre”, the Moravian graveyard, is located directly behind the church. The brick-walled Korner family graveyard is adjacent to the main graveyard.
Adelaide Kerner Adkins House, 418 S. Main Street
Addie was a daughter is Dr. Elias Kerner, who lived next door and is a fourth generation of Joseph Kerner.
Dr. Elias Kerner House, 414 S. Main Street
The house was built in 1857 by Dr. Elias Kerner. Dr. Kerner was the first full-time doctor in Kernersville. Six generations of Kerners have lived in this house.
Edward H. Gibson House, 419 S. Main Street
This house was built in 1837-1841. Both bricks and timber were local. The house was the first mission of Holy Cross Catholic Church in 1969, and then became an antique shop in 1982.
Korner’s Folly, 413 S. Main Street
Korner’s Folly is Kernersville’s most visible landmark, built by Jule Gilmer Korner (3rd generator of Joseph Kerner) in 1978-1880. It contains 22 rooms on 7 levels, and contains 20 fireplaces. The top level is Cupid’s Park, the first private Little Theatre in America.
Kerner-Greenfield Tobacco Factory, 402 S. Main Street
Built in 1884, this building is the oldest remaining tobacco factory in Forsyth County. It was built by Theodore E. Kerner and J.M. Greenfield. The structure has also been used as a knitting mill, hosiery factory and now features three luxury condominiums.
Nathaniel M. Kerner House, 312 S. Main Street
In 1857, this house was built by John Frederick Kerner as a wedding gift for his son, Nathanial. In 1970, it was purchased by Mr. & Mrs. John Wolfe III, a 6th generation of Joseph Kerner.
Main Street United Methodist Church, 306 S. Main Street
The original church was built in 1837 on land donated by John Frederick Kerner, son of Joseph Kerner. In 1873, the building was sold to St. Paul United Methodist Church and moved to their graveyard just south of the Stafford House. In 1922, this Neoclassical styled sanctuary was built. Behind the church is located the congregational graveyard with graves dating back to the 1850’s.
|Issac Harrison McKaughan House, 510 Salsibury StreetTwo-story, handmade brick structure built in 1875.|
Hester-Vance House, 412 Salisbury Street
This cottage was originally part of the “Whittington Place” property that Joseph J. Korner purchased from John Hester.
Bodenhamer’s Store, 311 S. Main Street
This two-story commercial structure is located in the “V” of Salisbury and S. Main streets. It was built in 1913 by Joseph J. Korner, and was originally a general store operated by E.Y. Marshall. It has also been a Shell service station, and now houses several offices.
Richard P. Kerner House, 228 S. Main Street
This home was built in 1867 by Richard P. Kerner, the third generation of Joseph Kerner, who was the first principal of (boarding school) Kernersville Academy, and the local railroad agent for the Northwestern North Carolina Railroad.
Henry Clay Korner House, 303 S. Main Street
In 1892, Henry built this house for his mother, Aunt Salie, widow of Philip Korner.
Rephelius Byron Kerner House, 225 S. Main Street
Rephelius Byron Kerner was the fourth generation of Joseph Kerner. The house was built in 1870.
Elias Kerner Huff House, 217 S. Main Street
The Forsyth County Historical Homes group has called this 1880 home to be “the best extant Victorian cottage in the county.”
S & R Motor Company, 216 S. Main Street
Built in 1928 by Rephelius Byron Kerner, Jr.
|DeWitt Harmon Office, 150 S. Main StreetThis two room brick, Neoclassical Revival building was built in 1926. It has served at the Kernersville Town Hall, Kernersville Library, License Bureau, office of the Kernersville Historic Preservation Society, and now the office for the Kernersville Little Theatre.|
Julius S. Harmon House, 149 S. Main Street
Built in 1858 by Julius Harmon, it has served as a private home, antique shop and an interior decorating office.
|Bank of Kernersville, 100 S. Main StreetSince its inception in 1903, the Bank of Kernersville was “one of the most stable banks in the area.” The bank merged with Wachovia Bank in 1965. For many years it housed the office for the Chamber of Commerce. The KDPDC offices are currently on the second floor.|
This two-story brick family drugstore was established “on the square” in 1904 by J. M. “Neighbor” Pinnix. Three generations of the Pinnix family operated the store until it closed in 1986. In 1986 it was renovated to become the law office of John Wolfe III.
Main Street Baptist Church, 126 N. Main Street
Construction of this two-story church was finished in 1916 and restored to its original design in 1996.
Roberts-Justice House, 133 N. Main Street
This brick house was built in 1877 by J. C. Roberts, one of the founders of Cherry Street Methodist Church. The earliest church services were held in this house.
First Kernersville Depot, 107 Bodenhamer Street
Built in 1873, the depot housed an office, passenger waiting room and freight warehouse.
Professor J. M. Weatherly House, 623 S. Main Street (1890)
P.A. Fontaine House, 619 South Main Street (1920)
Hunt-Kerner House, 320 S. Cherry Street (1880)
David-Bodenhamer House, 127 W. Mountain Street (1890)
Stuart Motor Company, 109-111 E. Mountain St. (1926)
Odell Beard House, 126 N. Cherry Street (1910)
R. C. Morris House, 134 N. Cherry Street (1925)
George Fulp House, 131 N. Cherry Street (1915)
Totten-Goslen House, 141 N. Cherry Street (1900)
Harmon & Reid Mill, 208 Bodenhamer St. (1897)
Source: Kernersville, N.C., A Walking Tour of Historical Homes. Kernersville Historic Preservation Society.